Stronger, Better Smiles With Dental Inlays and Onlays
Are your teeth damaged and in need of repair, but not damaged enough for a full dental crown? At Aesthetic Dentistry of Lake Oswego, Dr. Larry Bowden provides cosmetic and restorative dental inlays and onlays. Keep reading to learn how your local Lake Oswego holistic dentist can repair your teeth and improve your smile with these attractive alternatives to dental crowns and fillings.
What are Dental Inlays and Onlays?
Dental inlays and onlays repair decayed or damaged teeth. Inlays are used to repair small to medium-sized cavities within the cusps of a tooth. They are placed inside the tooth’s structure. Onlays, also known as partial crowns, are used for more extensive restorations. They cover one or more cusps and extend beyond the chewing surface of the tooth.
Benefits of Dental Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and onlays come with several advantages, such as:
- Conservation of Natural Tooth Structure: Inlays and onlays preserve as much healthy tooth structure as possible while restoring functionality and appearance.
- Longevity: With proper care, inlays, and onlays can last for 10 to 30 years, providing a durable solution.
- Aesthetics: Inlays and onlays are designed to match the color and contour of your natural teeth, resulting in a seamless and natural-looking smile.
- Strength and Stability: These restorations strengthen and reinforce weakened teeth, allowing for normal biting and chewing functions.
- Protection Against Decay: Inlays and onlays seal the prepared cavity, preventing bacteria from entering and reducing the risk of further decay.
Who Qualifies for Dental Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are viable treatment options for individuals with:
- Moderate tooth decay
- Fractured or cracked teeth
- Large fillings requiring replacement
- Insufficient tooth structure to support a filling
During your initial consultation at Aesthetic Dentistry of Lake Oswego, Dr. Bowden will evaluate your oral health and determine if inlays or onlays are an appropriate solution for you.
The Dental Inlays and Dental Onlays Process
The journey to receiving dental inlays or onlays starts with a consultation at Aesthetic Dentistry of Lake Oswego. During this appointment, Dr. Bowden will examine your teeth, discuss your concerns, and determine if inlays or onlays are right for you. This is also an excellent opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have about the procedure.
If inlays or onlays are deemed suitable for your case, the next step involves preparing the affected tooth. Your Lake Oswego holistic dentist will remove any decay or damage, ensuring a clean and healthy base for the restoration. An impression of your tooth will then be taken to create a custom-made inlay or onlay that fits perfectly.
Inlay or Onlay Placement
Once your dental inlay or onlay is ready, Dr. Bowden will carefully place it on your tooth. The restoration will be bonded securely, restoring the strength and functionality of the treated tooth. With their natural appearance, inlays and onlays seamlessly blend with your existing teeth, providing an aesthetically pleasing result.
After the placement of your inlay or onlay, it’s important to follow the aftercare instructions provided by Dr. Bowden. This may include maintaining good oral hygiene practices, avoiding hard or sticky foods, and attending regular dental check-ups. By taking care of your dental restoration, you can ensure its longevity and enjoy a healthy, beautiful smile for years to come.